To set sharing options use these steps:
1. Go to the folder properties and to the Sharing tab.
2. Press the Share button and select the users you want to share the folder contents with.
3. Press the Advanced Sharing button from the folder properties window and select Share this folder checkbox.
4. Press the Permissions button and manage the access you want to establish for other users.
For example, if you want to give full control for a folder check the Full Control option in the Allow column and then users will be able not only to watch and download files from the folder but also to copy their files to it and change/delete files in the folder you are sharing.
5. Additionally it is necessary to check Advanced sharing settings:
5.1. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center.
5.2. Select in the left pane Advanced sharing settings.
5.3. Set these options under the Public section:
- Turn on network discovery
- Turn on file and print sharing
- Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
- Turn off password protected sharing
5.4. Save changes.
For the XP system I use my own example. I needed to share my Documents folder only for reading and the share folder inside it for reading and writing. It was accomplished this way.
1. Go to Tools -> Folder Options menu.
2. Go to View tab.
3. Uncheck Use simple file sharing.
5. Open Documents folder Properties.
6. Go to Sharing tab and select Share this folder.
7. Press Permissions and set Full Control for Everyone.
9. Go to Security tab, select Everyone as group.
10. Uncheck Write checkbox in the Permissions Allow column (Full Control and Modify will uncheck automatically).
11. Open the Documents folder and open Properties of the share folder inside it.
12. Set Share this folder and press Permissions.
13. Set Full Control for Everyone. OK.
14. Go to Security tab and set Full Control for Everyone.
16. Now it’s possible to view and copy files from the Documents folder and its subfolder. And share folder allows to write files to it and change existing ones.